Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reflecting

The wind is blowing and it is warm outside. The warm I don't mind, the wind I do. Hopefully we will be blessed with rain this evening as we desperately need it, again. As someone once said, our part of the country is always on the verge of a drought. So I didn't stay outside long and I was not long at weeding in the flower garden, BUT I did come across something that prompted this post.

The photo is of a whirligig that is in our flower garden. Yep, there are only three petals remaining on the flower, have no idea where the other two are, as I have not seen them for several years after one of our big blows. It doesn't twirl anymore, but it will remain there among the flowers. It reminds me of many things. One of the things it reminds me of is myself, faded, rough and worn around the edges, with not all parts working 100% anymore. I need things like that around me as they are comforting in some odd way.
The sun face was the center of the flower and fell off the whirligig some time back. I had not seen it either. I found it this afternoon laying on the grave of our little dog, Vixey. So I am taking it as a sign to do something with this little metal sun in memory of her, as she loved the flower gardens and spent hours hunting in them. It will also become a reminder of friends that I will no longer have association with on a daily basis, as they have recently moved on to other areas, but we shared making such things with metal, fabric, beads, wire, melted things, etc. for several years.

Another reason I am going to use the little sun is that we often times throw things away that aren't new and exciting anymore, a little worn or broken, or we have taken what we want from it and that thing no longer has any value or worth to us or is not useful to us anymore on our quest.
It is also a reminder of all that is going on around me, of what I feel is the desmantling of our country and the way of life I have known for many years, a good life that I fear my children will lose and my grandson will never know. BUT the sun will come up tomorrow, if it is God's will, and it will not warm the earth anymore now than it ever has.






No comments:

Post a Comment