Friday, August 21, 2009

What's that smell?


The other day I decided to get a sourdough starter going again.
I use to have one years ago and baked sour dough bread frequently.
So the other day I mixed up flour and water, covered the bowl with a moist towel and placed it outside during the day to catch some wild yeast.
This morning when I came into the kitchen I noticed a strange smell. Then I remembered the sourdough starter sitting on the counter waiting to be feed. Sure enough, that is what it was and it is going to be a good starter.
I have another one going using a different method and it is rather poky, so I inoculated it with the one that was started when I took the crusty outer layer of dough off and added more flour and water. I will have to wait and see what flavor it has, hopefully the two will be a little different.

3 comments:

  1. I love to make sour dough bread and had a starter from a friend that I used for years, but lost it with the move. Hope that your new starter turns out good and maybe I can get a start from you next year. Betty Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. I have never made this kind of bread before got a receipe I could try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judi,
    I will get in touch with you concerning some recipes.

    Betty Ann,
    We will pack up some starter next summer. Hope to still have it going then.

    ReplyDelete