Wednesday, September 8, 2010

FINALLY!!!!


Finally, I was able to put the black kona around the trash barrel yesterday.  And just as I started, the wind came up, at least that is the excuse I am using as to why part of it doesn't have much rust on it or it might be that it dried out too much by the time I had the trash bag around it. 
  The photo to the right is one side of the piece.  It seems to me that this piece has two distinct sides.
In the lower left hand corner I can see two masks facing one another.  It is always interesting to see what develops on pieces of fabric.  Sometimes there are interesting images that show up.  Below is a closeup of the "mask" area and a closeup of one section. 
My reason for doing black instead of white fabric was to see if rust on black kona would resemble discharge.  I think it does, much less control than using a discharge paste or bleach, but that is part of the fun.  I would find it difficult to achieve the same texture with discharge paste, it seems to have more depth to it.  It also reminds me of the charred and blackened canyons near Boulder.   


I might try this process again one of these days, once the wind settles down. 

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of discharge.... but now that your mention Boulder .... I can begin to see something taking shape.
    Ricky in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete